The last in our current series on firearm violence looks at suicide prevention and the relation of firearms to suicide. Host Jason Woods MD talks with Dr. Emmy Betz, a researcher in suicide prevention, about what is currently know, strategies for harm reduction, and her efforts as the co-founder of the Colorado Coalition for Firearm Safety, which works to bring the medical community together with firearm owners, gun shops, and shooting ranges to improve safety.
Emmy Betz MD, MPH – Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-8255
- Dr. Betz’s TED Talk
- Colorado Firearm Safety Coalition
- Giffords Law Center – access state by state listing of firearm laws
- Joint program between the American Society for Suicide Prevention and the National Shooting Sports Foundation
- Betz ME, Kautzman M, Segal DL, et al. Frequency of lethal means assessment among emergency department patients with a positive suicide risk screen. Psychiatry Research 2018;260:30–5.
- Betz ME, Wintersteen M, emergency EBAO, 2016. Reducing suicide risk: challenges and opportunities in the emergency department. annemergmedcom
- Pierpoint LA, Tung GJ, Brooks-Russell A, Brandspigel S, Betz M, Runyan CW. Gun retailers as storage partners for suicide prevention: what barriers need to be overcome? Inj Prev 2018;:injuryprev–2017–042700–5.
- McCourt AD, Vernick JS, Betz ME, Brandspigel S, Runyan CW. Temporary Transfer of Firearms From the Home to Prevent Suicide. JAMA Intern Med 2017;177(1):96–6.
- Wintemute GJ, Betz ME, Ranney ML. Yes, You Can: Physicians, Patients, and Firearms. Ann Intern Med 2016;165(3):205–10.